Tuesday, September 13, 2011

INRO TO LANG HOMEWORK


Michelle Jackson                                                                                 9-9-11
                                                Relationships to language



            Even though English is my primary language there are different ways in which it is spoken. Depending on the environment that I’m in and the people that I’m around, determines how well or poorly it is spoken.  Language is a form of expression; for example, I wouldn’t speak the same way to my elders that I would of my peers.  Although I can have the same exact conversation with them both, the language preference or how the conversation is delivered will definitely differ- The same goes for how a conversation is presented to a potential employer or a professor.  You wouldn’t use slang or Spanglish when going on a job interview because it would be extremely inappropriate and unprofessional.
            People who learn English the fastest (or any other language for that matter) are those who read.  The types of books, articles, and or magazines that people choose to read matters also. It plays a big part in how you can interpret the language.
            Although English is my native language, it would be just as easy for me to learn another language if I just read.  That goes for anyone who is determined enough to learn another language. I speak English different depending on the environment that I’m in and I think that also goes for anyone else.  When I’m at work, I keep it very professional. I don’t curse and I don’t speak slang: for example “What up” or “What’s really good” would be translated into “Hello” or “How are you doing” in my work environment as well as to my elders. “I’m just keepin it real” is translated to “I’m just telling the truth.” “Aight” is of course not a word, but it is used constantly meaning “Alright,” It’s just a form of slang. As long as I can change up when it is called for, it should be alright.
            Some people have a harder time differentiating the difference on when to talk proper and when it’s ok if you don’t. Knowing how to use language makes a big difference on how you get along with the rest of the world. It shows how you can or can’t relate to certain individuals. Even tough what you say (aight as oppose to alright) might just mean the same thing, someone else whom doesn’t speak in those terms might not understand to a point where he or she might get offended when it’s not intended; for example…”Say it wit ya chest” means to “Say it like you mean it.”  If you say “Say it wit your chest” to the wrong person, especially a female at the wrong time, she might take it as a form of sexual harassment…then you might just find yourself in a predicament you don’t want to be in.

2 comments:

  1. English has so many different ways to be spoken I forget i speak english

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the "say it with ya chest" reference that you made lol. You make good points about knowing how to alter the way you speak in front of a certain type of person. A lot of people have not quite grasped that yet but when you do it opens a lot of doors up for you. Im glad you mentioned reading because that is one of the greatest tools you could ever have. Reading broadens our mind and makes us aware of other people and their use of language. Great essay i enjoyed it very much!!

    ReplyDelete